Giving the best of you, instead of what’s left of you
The new year has officially arrived! Have you been sticking to your resolutions or nah? Here at Aya HQ we’re not big on resolutions. We more about setting attainable goals that will help us thrive in the long run. One goal you’ll definitely be seeing in the first AYA diary page of every month is #moreselfcare. But don’t be fooled by images of spa-days and fancy mountain retreats with goat yoga, we’re getting real about the real stuff. The kinda self care rituals that are going make us sleep better, feel better, spend better and grow better.
So, before you coffee gets cold and your phone rings again, here are a few tips from our team on how to make your 2019 selfcare journey one that counts:
Happy body, happy mind:
- Create a feel good playlist of all your favorite songs and dance it out. Dancing for a few minutes a day reduces stress and increases energy. Heck, why not make a video and share your dancing sesh on IG Stories. That’s something we’ll definitely watch! If you’re looking for inspiration, we highly recommend The Fitness Marshall!
- Try to exercise 3-4 times a week. Not doable? Go for walk. The fresh air and beautiful surroundings will allow you to clear your mind and focus on the tasks at hand when you get back to the office. (Also, a fab excuse to create some noteworthy IG content)
- Pay attention to your what products you’re using. Ask yourself are they working for you? Are you getting the results you want to see or were promised? Skin care is vital for feeling good about yourself.
- Cut back on foods that make you feel bloated and guilty. Less junk, more funk!
Get out of your head!
- Stop comparing yourself to strangers on the internet. Everyone is on their own journey. Instead, focus on your achievements and where you want to be in the next few months.
- You don’t have to do it all. Delegate responsibilities, even if it’s just asking someone to make a cup of tea while you settle into a deadline.
- Practice the art of saying “no” and then learn to say “yes” to opportunities that promote your growth.
- LESS NEGATIVE TALK. Here’s a challenge: Everytime you pass a mirror and catch a glimpse at yourself, smile. You deserve it!
Open your heart:
- Make more time for your friends and family and less time for work. A surprise phone call can bring so much more joy than another unanswered whatsapp.
- Buy yourself flowers or pick some from the garden! Nothing creates more joy than a beautiful pop of colour.
- You’re never too important to be nice to people. A compliment, a smile or even just your undivided attention can make or break another person’s day and make YOU feel great in return.
Take care of your money, honey!
- Stop spending and start living. Do you really need that cappucino down the road everyday, or can you save R25 a day making your own at home?
R25 x 5 x 4 x 12 = R6000 #justsaying!
- Bills, bills, bills. We want less! Make an effort to start paying off big and small debts faster. Got a spare R500 from all those cappuccinos you didn’t buy this month? Put it towards a debt and pay it off faster.
- Try to take at least 10% of your spending money and put it into an account you cannot touch. A rainy day fund might come in handy next time you have big financial emergency.
Now, we’re not saying you have to do ALL of these. Pick one or two from each category and apply generously. Now watch the magic happen.